Friday, April 27, 2012

Just a (not so) little update...

I thought it was time to give a little update on our life since it is now the end of April. We have been so busy! I have now been working at Primary's for almost 2 months and I love it more that ever. My experience on the infant floor was wonderful. So much so I was wishing I didn't have to move on. I have now been on Children's Medical Unit (CMU) for 3 weeks. I really didn't think I would like it was much as the babies, but I actually love it. Almost every patient I have had on CMU has been over 10 yrs old. The older kids are so fun. Their little individual personalities make me laugh. I love that they aren't as afraid of me, they interact so much more, and they can tell me what they are feeling. The transition from infant to CMU was a big one. I have come to realize that I have to know so much more taking care of kids of all ages than I did with adults. For instance with adults the reference range of normal vital signs (blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, etc.) are essentially the same for all them. With kids it changes as they get bigger. A heart rate of 150 is normal for a newborn baby, but for a 5 year old is very high. There are also so many different illnesses that kids come in with whereas at McKay we got a lot of the same problems. It just means there is so much to learn. It can become very overwhelming, but I am just taking it shift by shift and sometimes even hour by hour or it would just consume me. Still not loving the drive, especially when I got pulled over the second week and then got a serious flat tire last week and got home 2 hours later than normal. But it's still all so worth it. Thank you to the kind officer who let me go, I have now been being much more cautious about driving within the speed limit. Also a big big thanks to my cousin Kajsa and her amazing husband Monty for helping me change my tire. I have so many blessings to be thankful for. Chris finally finished the semester! Thank heavens! This semester has been so brutal for him. Not only did he have more credits but it has been very difficult to focus with ever increasing family drama. It has been extremely hard on him. He has to take a couple classes this summer so he can get into the finance program, but I truly believe that things happen for a reason and the Lord knows what is best. It will be so good for him to have a little break from school and our vacation in a week or so is much needed. Disneyland here we come! We are super excited! Happiest place on earth! :) One last thing. Things with Chris's family are improving. His mom is doing a lot better. I can actually feel the difference when I am around her. I actually feel like I am talking to my Mother-in-law instead of someone I don't know. It just shows that you must always have hope that people will be ok and that prayers are answered. We are so grateful! The Lord works in mysterious ways. We found out that Chris's grandpa (the one whose hospital stay was the reason I met Chris) has stage IV metastatic melanoma cancer. We aren't sure on the plan for treatment but his amazing faith and strength has really brought the family together. I am so grateful for his priesthood leadership and example. Wow sorry this turned into such a long post. I will try and get back after our trip to Cali. Thanks for tuning in :)
( This is a pic from our day at the Tulip festival last Saturday, one of my new favorite places! It was so beautiful! I am so glad I got to share it with Chris and Marinda.)

1 comment:

  1. Love you Jess and Chris! Have fun in DISNEYLAND!!!!! Wahoooo!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete